Some links in this post may or may not be affiliate links. If you click on an affiliate link I will earn a commission which supports this site.
Unicorn Surprise Sugar Cookies are colorful, delightful and magical. Perfect for an everyday snack or to add a little rainbow to any occasion.
These unicorn surprise cookies are super simple to make, are softer than any of the store-bought surprise cookies and you can choose your colors! Make a more traditional rainbow or mix it up with unicorn themed stripes like above.
Unicorn Surprise Sugar Cookies
Add a little magic to any snack or dessert. Yummy, soft, and colorful - it's the perfect sugar cookie!
Recipe yields 2 rolls - cut to preference.
- 3 C flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 C soft unsalted butter
- 1 C granulated sugar
- 1 eggs1 tsp vanilla extract
- Gel food coloring: Purple, Pink, and teal
- Cream the soft butter with the sugar until the combination is smooth, not grainy to the touch in a mixing bowl.
- Add egg, continue to mix.
- Add the vanilla, continue mixing.
- Sift the flour, baking soda, and salt together.
- Add the dry mixture to the wet mixture.
- Continue mixing to make sure all ingredients are thoroughly blended.
- Make the dough into a ball, wrap it in cling wrap completely covering the entire dough ball.
- Put in the refrigerator for about 2 hours
- Pull the cookie dough out of the refrigerator and set it out to soften up a bit.
- Divide the dough into 4 parts.
- Take one part and add Purple gel coloring
- Take a second part and add Pink gel coloring
- Take a third part and add teal gel coloring
- Take the fourth part and leave it plain.
- Put the dough back into the fridge for an hour
- Pull the dough out and then take one of the colored dough.
- Put flour onto the surface, flatten out one color dough into a rectangle and set aside.
- Repeat with the remaining colored dough.
- Place the flatten colored dough on top of each other.
- Cut the dough into 3-inch strips, big enough to fit a mini heart shaped cookie cutter.
- Take the mini heart cookie cutter and cut out cookies from the stacked colored strips.
- Take the hearts and stack them on top of each other.
- Take the plain dough and pinch off some dough to make 'rods'
- Take one 'rod' and put it in the middle of the colored heart
- Repeat with the remaining plain dough until the heart is fully covered.
- Lightly roll the cookie dough so that the roll is smooth.
- Put into the fridge again for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Pull out the dough and take a sharp knife and cut thick slices of dough.
- Place onto a cookie sheet with parchment paper and bake for 10 minutes or until golden brown
- Pull off cookie sheet and place onto a cooling rack to cool
You may also like:
Join our newsletter
GET THE LATEST POSTS RIGHT IN YOUR INBOX!