Some links in this post may or may not be affiliate links. If you click on an affiliate link I will earn a commission which supports this site.
Birds Nest Cookies or haystack cookies as they are also known as are a HUGE part of my family’s holiday season. My aunts and my mother made them every holiday when I was little and I have made them every year for my kids since they were born. I had to adjust a few of my recipes since my oldest daughter developed a peanut allergy so we now make white chocolate bird’s nest cookies in addition to my butterscotch peanut butter bird’s nest cookies.
White Chocolate Birds Nest Cookies
One of the reasons we love making birds nest cookies during the holiday is they are an extremely versatile cookie. You can change up the recipe to suit any taste or food sensitivity. The white chocolate birds nest cookies we make are made with Chow Mein Noodles and any type of chocolate you want. You can make them with dark chocolate, milk chocolate or even melting chocolate. We are partial to white chocolate.
Adding nuts is also an option. They work great with cashews, peanuts, or walnuts. I would stay away from pistachios if you are using white chocolate – it has a funky after taste we have found. They are really good with dark chocolate, however.
White Chocolate Birds Nest Cookies
Yield 18-20 cookies
This is a great, quick, no-bake recipe you can make right on the stove-top or microwave
- 1 1/2 cans of chow mein noodles
- 3/4 bag of white chocolate chips (large) or melting chocolate
- Chopped nuts (optional)
- Holiday Sprinkles
- On the stove top in a medium sauce pan warm the chocolate chips or melting chocolate on medium heat. Do not let the chocolate bubble.
- When the chocolate is slightly softened pour the chow mein noodles into the pan in small increments slowly stirring in the noodles until they are all coated. (If you're adding nuts - stir them into the mix at the same time as the noodles)
- Immediately, using an cookie scoop or large spoon, pace on wax paper or a non-stick sheet pan. If mixture is sticking to the spoon spray a little cooking spray.
- Cover with plastic wrap and let cool in the fridge for an hour.
- Carefully remove from sheet pan when cooled and enjoy!
Butterscotch-Peanut Butter Birds Nest Cookies
We LOVE these cookies and actually make them all year long! I have tweaked this recipe over the years from the original recipe my family used in the past to what I think is the perfect ratio. Our recipe tastes like it has rum in it but it doesn’t! This recipe is also super simple and has just 3 simple ingredients.
Butterscotch Peanut Butter Birds Nest Cookies
Yield 16 cookies
Yummy, savory and super simple to make. Just three ingredients!
- 7 cups of corn flakes
- 3 1/2 cups of peanut butter
- 2 bags of butterscotch chips
- Melt the butterscotch chips and peanut butter together until smooth over medium heat. Do not let it bubble or boil.
- Slowy add each cup of cornflakes to the mixture and turn the heat down to med-low to prevent burning.
- Coat the cornflakes evenly with the entire mixture. You can add more peanut butter if needed.
- Cool on wax paper or a non-stick cookie sheet in the fridge for 30 minutes or until hardened.
- Carefully remove the cookies and enjoy!
(To store the cookies I recommend a glass casserole dish with a lid. Keep refrigerated because they will melt!)
What is Houseful Of Cookies?
Houseful of Cookies is an annual, virtual cookie hop, hosted by Natasha Nicholes of Houseful of Nicholes. She really likes playing on the “Houseful” theme when there is more than one of something, and since there’s more than one cookie…here we are. Each year, she gathers a bunch of us from the internet to bake up our epic cookie creations and share them with all of you! It’s a fun time, and we all have dealt with butter, flour, and various flavorings to bring you our goodies each year. This year, we present to you, our cookie hop.
Houseful Of Cookies Participants
Brownie Cookies – Houseful of Nicholes
Chocolate Rolo Surprise Cookies – Good Girl Gone Redneck
The Perfect Christmas Sugar Cookies – Love, Jaime
Cake Mix Santa Cookies – Dairy Carrie
Candy Cane Cookies – Brooklyn Active Mama
Chocolate Dipped Peppermint Shortbread Cookies – Honest & Truly
Gingersnap Cookies – Divas With A Purpose
Decorated Ugly Sweater Cookies – 1000 Directions
Mickey Christmas Headband Cookies – Cutefetti
Birds Nest Cookies – My Crafty Life
Cranberry White Chocolate Chip Cookies – Kenya Rae
Gluten-Free Russian Tea Cakes – Day by Day in Our World
Not His Mamma’s Tassies – Heather Spins a Yarn
Molded Peanut Butter Cookies – This Mamas Life
Not Your Mama’s Milk & Cookies – Life of a Ginger
Peanut Butter Marshmallow Chocolate Chunk Cookies – Mama Harris’ Kitchen
Coffee Sandwich Cookies with Browned Buttercream Filling – How Was Your Day?
Butterscotch Cornflake Cookies – Omadarling
Coffee Cookies – Someday I’ll Learn
Toffee Bits Cookies – This Worthey Life
Fruitcake Cookies – Sugar, Spice, & Glitter
Keto Almond Joy Cookies – The Crunchy Mommy