Some links in this post may or may not be affiliate links. If you click on an affiliate link I will earn a commission which supports this site.
The reviewer has been compensated in the form of a Best Buy Gift Card and/or received the product/service at a reduced price or for free
I dread doing laundry. It’s not my favorite thing at all so I am always looking for ways to make it easier and faster so I have more time to do more important things like binge watch shows on Netflix. I have been doing some research on Energy Star® washers and dryers. I have to tell you, I am impressed.
What’s so impressive about Energy Star® washers and dryers?
ENERGY STAR® certified clothes washers and dryers are 25% and 20% more efficient, respectively, than standard models. You can also save $490 over the lifetime of an ENERGY STAR certified clothes washer and even more with an ENERGY STAR® washer/dryer pair.
Clothes washers and dryers that have earned the ENERGY STAR® deliver superior efficiency and performance by incorporating many advanced features.
If all clothes washers and dryers sold in the U.S. were ENERGY STAR® certified, we would save more than $4 billion each year and prevent more than 19 billion pounds of carbon pollution annually! This is equal to the emissions from 1.7 million vehicles.
Some of those features include:
- Multiple configurations– ENERGY STAR® certified clothes washers are available in either front-load or redesigned top-load configurations which include technology innovations that help save energy and water.
- Sophisticated wash systems– ENERGY STAR® certified top-load machines clean your clothing just like standard models without wasting water to fill up the tub. Instead, these machines use sophisticated wash systems to cycle clothes through a mixture of water and detergent, allowing the clothes to be cleaned without using excess water or detergent.
- No central agitator– Front-load machines tumble clothes through a small amount of water instead of rubbing clothes against an agitator, while advanced top-load machines lift and tumble clothes through a reduced stream of water. Both designs dramatically reduce the amount of hot water and energy used in the wash cycle.
- High spin speeds– Efficient motors spin clothes two to three times faster to extract more water. Less moisture in the clothes means less time in the dryer and less energy spent drying clothes.
- Long life for your clothes– Front-load and advanced top-load clothes washers’ sophisticated wash systems use a variety of methods to lift and tumble your laundry, lengthening the life of often-washed items. Additionally, because they are so gentle, many models can safely clean silk, wool, and other hand-washables.
- Savings! – A new ENERGY STAR® certified clothes washer will save you about $45 a year on your utility bills compared to a standard model.
• 1,100 kWh and more than 2.5 million BTUs of natural gas,
• 33,000 gallons of water,
• $490 over the product’s lifetime.
- Low Heat Setting– Longer drying cycles on a low heat setting use less energy. When you purchase an ENERGY STAR® certified clothes dryer, look for the cycle that uses the least amount of energy, sometimes known as the “energy-saving” selection.
- Steam Cycles! – Many ENERGY STAR® dryers also include convenient features, such as a steam cycle that can help save time on ironing clothes by preventing wrinkles.
- Less Energy Wasted – Clothes dryers that have earned the ENERGY STAR® use approximately 20% less energy than standard models.
I definitely am on board with purchasing an ENERGY STAR® washer and dryer. Any amount of money I can save is important since I will have two kids in college next year! Not to mention making an effort to reduce my footprint on the environment.
Best Buy is committed to positively impacting the environment and its communities. Best Buy provides their customers with a wide assortment of sustainable products. This includes offering a large selection of energy-efficient products, including ENERGY STAR® certified electronics and appliances.