Some links in this post may or may not be affiliate links. If you click on an affiliate link I will earn a commission which supports this site.
Temperatures are crazy in the country right now and here is no exception. I’ve got a four year old that’s not liking the cold temps and wants her snow back. So I searched and found a cute craft for her on kaboose.com and I wanted to share:
Giggling Polar Bear
Turn an empty two liter soda bottle into this cute giggling polar bear! Choose your child’s favorite colors for the hair and mittens.
Celebrate winter! Warm up those imaginations with these cool winter crafts then relax with some fun printables and heart-warming recipes.
What you’ll need:
- Gesso (recommended: Liquitex Basics Gesso)FYI to what Gesso is….
- White and black acrylic craft paint
- Paint brush
- 2 liter plastic bottle
- 2 mismatched socks
- Black marker
- Pink crayon
- 12″ white yarn
- White craft glue
- Rice, pebbles, pennies, sand, etc (for weight)
How to make it:
- Remove all labels from bottle and rinse out well. Allow to dry, add some weights (pennies, sand, rice, etc.) and place cap back on bottle.
- Paint bottle with one coat of gesso and let dry. Paint with one coat of white paint and let dry.
- Cut one of the socks on half (see image). You will be using the end with the cuff. Use scissors to fringe the cut end of the sock (see image).
- Use pattern to draw face on the front of the bottle using a black marker (see image). Fill in the nose with black paint. Use a pink crayon to color circles for cheeks (see image).
- Using the pattern, cut out two mittens from the other sock. Glue one mitten so that it is partially covering the bear’s mouth. Glue the other one lower and pointing toward her belly.
- Place the cuff end of the first pink sock over the top of the bottle cap. Use yarn to tie a knot around the sock in between the cuff and the fringe. Tie yarn into a bow trim off excess ends, leaving a couple of inches in place. Arrange the fringe so that it flops on top of the hat.
- Don’t toss out your mismatched socks! Save them for fun winter projects such as this.
- Instead of a two liter bottle, you can make this smaller with a water bottle. We used a 3 liter bottle for ours!
- Gesso is a craft medium that allows paint to adhere to many surfaces. It is available in the art department of your local craft supply store.
Holiday Links(See more great kids crafts)
- New Winter Crafts
- All Winter Crafts
- Winter Printables
- Winter Games
Valentine’s Day Crafts:
- Valentine’s Day Crafts
- Valentine’s Day Cards
- All V-Day Crafts
- Valentine’s Day Coloring Pages