Scarecrow Cupcakes Recipe
Add a little whimsy to any dinner or holiday party!
Butter cake ingredients:
- 1 1/2 C flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 C butter, room temperature
- 1 C white sugar
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3/4 C milk, room temperature
- 1 C soft unsalted butter
- 4 + C powdered sugar
- 4 TBSP heavy whipping cream
- Shredded wheat
- Wafer cookies
- 1 bag of candy corn
Royal Icing Ingredients:
- 2 egg whites
- 1 C powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- Black gel food coloring
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Put paper liners into the cupcake pan.
- Combine the flour, salt, and baking powder. Whisk to blend.
- Using an electric mixer beat butter and white sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time, beat after each addition. Next stir in the vanilla.
- Gradually add half of the dry ingredients to the creamed mixture alternately with the milk.
- Stir all ingredients just until just blended
- Using a medium ice cream scoop. scoop the batter into lined cupcake pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in the cupcake pan for 10 minutes.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely before frosting.
- Cream the butter and powder sugar until it looks light and creamy.
- If it doesn't cream add several drops of the heavy whipping cream until it creams.
- Test to see if the frosting can form and hold a stiff peak by taking a spoonful of frosting and turning the spoon upside down.
- If the frosting stays on the spoon it is not ready. Add more powder sugar 1/2 C at a time.... mix well.
- Always test to make sure that the frosting can make and hold a stiff peak.
- If ready scoop the frosting into a pastry bag with a large tip. (13 inch)
- Twist the open end of the pastry bag to push the frosting to the tip.
- Frost from the cupcake edges inward to the center of the cupcake.
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl mixing on medium speed for 4 minutes. (except your food coloring)
- If icing is not stiff enough add 1/4 C powder sugar.
- Spoon the icing into a bowl.
- Add several drops of black gel food coloring in the large bowl of icing. Stir well to mix the color.
- Spoon the icing into a piping bag with a #2 tip.
- (Refer to the pictures of the cupcake below)
- Pull apart the shredded wheat into hay-like pieces.
- For each cupcake you will need 1 1/2 wafer cookies. Cut a few of the cookies in half to make the 1/2 wafer for each cupcake.
- While the frosting is still damp put the loose shredded wheat on the top for the hay hair.
- Using a little bit of frosting to glue the full cookie and half cookie together. Set aside. Draw a black line using the black icing on the half part of the cookie hat.
- Place the hat (the whole cookie entirely on the frosted cupcake) covering the top half of the straw hair.
- Using the black royal icing make two round dots for eyes.
- Draw 4-6 lines in a half circle to make the smile.
- Allow the icing to dry for about 1-2 minutes.
- Put a piece of candy corn upside down with the tip pointing down for the nose.
- Let the icing to dry for about 20 minutes more minutes.
Recipe by My Crafty Life at https://www.craftylife.net/scarecrow-cupcakes-recipe/