Cast Iron Cajun Crawfish Mac and Cheese
Get out that cast iron skillet (because that is the only way to cook it) and surprise your family with a cajun treat for dinner.
- 8 oz penne pasta
- 4 slices thick bacon
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1 Tbsp. butter room temp
- 2 Tbsp. flour
- 1 cup half and half
- 1 Tbsp. Cajun seasoning
- 2 cup cooked crawfish tails
- 2 cups medium sized peeled and tail off shrimp
- 1½ c shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 c shredded Colby / jack cheese mix
- 1/2 cup panko crumbs
- Add a dash of salt to 1-quart water in a large pasta pot
- Bring water to a boil, add pasta and cook according to the package directions.
- Drain and set the pasta to the side.
- Slice your green onions.
- Set to the side.
- While you are cooking your pasta, cook your bacon so it's crispy enough to crumble.
- Using the same skillet that you cooked your bacon in, add your butter.
- Melt butter on medium heat, add your green onions and cook 2 minutes.
- Add 2 Tbsp flour to the skillet and cook 1 minute.
- Then add your half and half. Whisk to prevent clumps.
- Add Cajun seasoning and mix to combine.
- Add your crawfish tails and shrimp. Stir often for 5 minutes.
- Next, add cheeses and stir until melted.
- Fold pasta and half of the bacon into cheese sauce.
- Top the pasta mix with remaining bacon and bread crumbs.
- Turn your oven to broil.
- Place your pasta mix into the oven and toast for 5 minutes.
- Remove from oven
- Garnish with green onions slices.
- Allow cooling 5 minutes before serving.
Recipe by My Crafty Life at https://www.craftylife.net/cast-iron-cajun-crawfish-mac-and-cheese/