My hat is old. My teeth are gold. And now my story is all told.
– Dr Suess
As a kid I was always proud of the fact Dr Suess’ birthday was two days after me. I am and have always been a huge fan. Since I have always let me freak flag fly since childhood he spoke my language. No rules. Not restrictions. Just be who you are and if others don’t like it they could jump off a cliff. He also taught me balance, believe it or not. I learned to always stay true to yourself but never at the expense of others. So to celebrate the iconic Dr Suess and his day I give you Red Fish, Blue Fish Cookies!
Red FIsh Blue Fish Cookies
Celebrate the iconic Dr Suess with some yummy Red Fish Blue Fish Cookies
- 3 C flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salted butter
- 1 C granulated sugar
- 1 eggs
Cookie Cutter: fish shape
- Cream the soft butter with the sugar until the combination is smooth not grainy to the touch in a mixing bowl.
- Add eggs...Continue to mix.
- Add the vanilla.. Continue mixing.
- Sift the four, baking soda, and salt together.
- Add the dry mixture to the wet mixture.
- Continue mixing to make sure all ingredients are thoroughly blended.
- Make the dough into a ball, wrap it in cling wrap completely covering the entire dough ball.
- Put in the refrigerator for about 6 hours or overnight. Check to see if the dough is firm.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Pull the cookie dough out of the refrigerator and sit it out to soften up a bit.
- Put flour out on the cutting board, rub flour on the rolling pin, and work some flour intothe batter. (if needed).
- Roll the dough out on the cutting board and using the cookie cutter begin to make your cookies.
- Line the cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Using a metal spatula move the cut cookies to the parchment lined cookiesheet.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 8 minutes. Check to see if the cookies are thoroughly baked.
- Take the cookies off of the cookie sheet and put on a wire rack to cool completely.(About 10 minutes).
- Combine all ingredients except the colors into a standing mixing bowl.
- Mix on medium speed onto stiff peaks form
- Split into 4 bowls
- Leaving one bowl white, add the colors to 1 of the 3 bowls, red in one blue in the other and black in the last.
- Using the piping bags, add a little bit off the colors to 1 of each bag.
- With red and blue icing remaining in the bowls, add 1 tsp of water to thin out the icing.
- Pour icing into a squeeze bottle
- Outline the fish in black icing
- Fill in the outline with the thin red or blue icing and let sit on a cookie sheet for 4 hours
- Using your edible marker, add some shading to the top fin, the tips of the tails and the middle part of the fish.
- Then add a half smile and outline of the eyes
- After, add the flipper with some shading
- Use the white icing, add a small dot for the fishes eye
- Then use the black icing, add the pupil
- Let sit for another hour